Monday, March 5, 2007

Just goes to show you

The name of the coffeehouse that I tried so hard to think of was Brady's Cafe. How could I have forgotten that? I am ashamed of myself. I ended up calling a coffee shop in Kent, hoping someone would know. A great woman just informed me that it was called Brady's and it is now owned by Starbucks. I have to honestly tell you that I feel a little bit sick just at the thought.

Where we once thought ourselves such new and creative minds, they are serving lattes by the dozens. One of the old hippies that worked there would shout out your name when you order was ready and now twenty apron ed twenty-year-old kids scream back and forth to one another, "She'll have a grande half-caf dry vanilla latte, skim, no whip."

Where is Bob when I need him?

1 comment:

someone else said...

Yes it all sounds sad, however in reality the gal who ran the store could not wait to leave. The "hippies" who so liked to hang out-did just that-hung out-and spent very little. Her rent was just $450.00 a month, and she was not selling enough even to support that. On the day she closed, even with a going away party, you can look at all the pictures that were taken (there is still a website called "Savebradys") and if you look really hard you can find excatly one person with a beverage in their hand. Senitimentality doesnt pay the bills. All the big talkers wouldnt support her.